Mergers & Acquisitions
The Health Care industry is undergoing unprecedented growth and innovation.
Hall Render provides mergers and acquisitions services to clients that span the health care industry, including startups focused on disrupting traditional health care delivery models, private equity portfolio and venture capital-backed roll-up companies delivering innovative health care solutions, and large, multi-state health systems focused on improving quality and efficiency across large patient populations.
Health Care M&A Insights:
Areas of Focus
- Antitrust Law
- Contract Negotiation and Preparation
- General Business Transactions and Services
- Hospital and Health System Counsel
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Real Estate and Construction
The Hall Render Advantage
Transactions in the health care space are especially complicated, layering health care regulatory and reimbursement considerations on top of complex securities, antitrust, privacy and security, corporate, tax, and contract law matters. Without sophisticated legal guidance through this landscape, resources are wasted and opportunities are lost. One of our key advantages is that we give our clients the ability to engage one firm to serve as both transaction and regulatory counsel, and to partner with attorneys who comprehensively understand their strategy, the significance of risks uncovered in due diligence, the reimbursement issues unique to health care transactions, and how all of these issues impact negotiations, timelines, and the success of each deal.
Hall Render’s M&A Service Line leverages the firm’s extensive experience in the health care industry to serve as a strategic partner to clients involved in complex transactions and business arrangements. We assist our clients at each stage of a transaction, evaluating deal structures, conducting due diligence, and negotiating transaction documents to ensure issues unique to health care transactions are appropriately reviewed and addressed (e.g., reimbursement, anti-trust, Stark, AKS, HIPAA, privacy and security, EHR integration, corporate practice of medicine, IP protections, licensing and accreditation issues, real estate matters).
Transactions Trends and Recent Representative Experience:
- Lead counsel representing a large, non-profit health system in the acquisition of a regional division of a national, for-profit hospital operator.
- Lead counsel representing health system as it acquired 100% of the stock of an HMO insurance company.
- Buyer and Seller side experience in transactions involving county hospitals aligning with large nonprofit and for-profit health systems.
- Lead counsel representing a large, Colorado physician practice in its merger with the provider arm of a national health plan provider.
- Lead counsel representing a large, national health system in its acquisition of a large primary care medical practice. The transaction also included the acquisition of an imaging center, a physician therapy center and a practice management company, as well as certain dealings with a successful PHO that interfaces with governmental and private payers.
- Representation of Michigan health system in an affiliation arrangement with a 250-physician multi-specialty group, which was followed by the system employing those physicians.
- Assisted a large group of cardiologists in teaming as co-owners with a large hospital enterprise to create and open a specialty heart hospital in Texas.
- Lead counsel on sale of large physician group to private equity-backed provider; including concurrent acquisition of other target entities to develop regional platform.
- Lead counsel on multiple transactions for country’s largest clinical engineering services provider; including sale of certain divisions and other strategic transactions.
- Lead transaction counsel for multiple private-equity backed national physical therapy provider networks.
- Lead outside counsel for a large, private-equity backed oncology and radiation therapy provider, and in that capacity have assisted in the acquisition and divestiture of numerous large practice organizations.
- Lead counsel in developing strategic affiliations among hospitals, physician groups and other healthcare service providers, via ASC joint ventures, service line management arrangements, and alignment through gainsharing arrangements under several CMS Innovation Model arrangements.
- Representation of Wisconsin health system in entering into a professional services arrangement with a 150-physician multi-specialty group.
- Ongoing representation of conglomerate of seven community-based hospitals in an affiliation with large, nonprofit health system.
- Transactional counsel in the formation of a mother/baby service line JOA (including NICU) between an academic medical center and community hospital.
- Counsel to a health system entering into a cardiac service line JOA with an academic medical center.
- Lead counsel representing multiple Colorado hospitals forming Air Ambulance joint venture.
- Lead counsel representing country’s largest nonprofit transfusion medicine organization in acquiring multiple independent blood centers via member substitution and merger transactions.
- Lead counsel representing nonprofit ESRD provider in merger with affiliate.
If your organization is in need of mergers & acquisitions guidance and practical solutions, please contact us to get started.
Joe Kahn is a shareholder in Hall Render’s Raleigh office. He focuses his practice on advising health systems, physician groups and other health care providers with regard to strategic transactions and affiliations, including mergers and acquisitions, hospital/physician transactions, corporate organization and reorganization matters, joint ventures, governance matters and complex contract negotiations. In conjunction with this advice, he also counsels health care clients with respect to the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute and other applicable regulatory compliance…
Colleen Powers provides advice and counsel to some of our country’s largest health systems, physician group practices and health care management organizations. She regularly counsels clients on a national basis regarding a variety of health care issues, including mergers and acquisitions, health care reform, fraud and abuse and regulatory and corporate compliance. She has been named in the Indiana Super Lawyers Rising Stars for several years and listed in the “Top Healthcare Transaction Lawyers ” by…
Charles “Chad” Sukurs has dedicated his career to advising clients in health care law with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, general business transactions and services, governance, hospital and physician transactions, physician alignment, physician group practices and tax exemption. As a strategic advisor to his clients, which include hospitals, doctors, physician groups, dental practices and other health care organizations, he provides dedicated industry knowledge and experience. In addition, Chad is the head of the…