Stephen D. Rose
Attorney | Seattle & Anchorage
Stephen Rose is a Shareholder and the Managing Partner of the Anchorage and Seattle-area offices of Hall, Render, Killian, Heath & Lyman, P.C. He has more than 30 years of experience representing clients in the area of medical staff and physician relations. He regularly advises hospital and health system leadership, boards and medical staffs on medical staff matters, including bylaws, staff governance, quality of care issues, peer review hearings, disruptive and impaired physicians and credentialing issues.
He also assists health care providers with Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, defending providers responding to government audits, certificate of need and corporate compliance issues. Since the inception of HIPAA, Stephen has been instrumental in developing educational materials and training classes for the Washington State Medical Association, as well as various hospitals, health systems and hospital associations. Stephen provides clients with guidance on first-party breach response and third-party privacy defense. He routinely works with third-party forensic consulting experts to identify the nature and scope of a network intrusion, assisting providers responding to breaches as small as one and as large as over 250,000. Additionally, Stephen provides regulatory compliance guidance under HIPAA and accompanying state data privacy laws and assists clients with developing appropriate policies and procedures, incident response teams and analyses of cyber-liability insurance policy coverage.
Stephen was lead counsel for the Alaska State Hospital and Nursing Home Association's successful Boren Amendment litigation and continues to represent health care providers on reimbursement issues and reimbursement litigation.
University of California, Santa Cruz, B.A. - 1977; Santa Clara University, M.B.A - 1979
Whittier College School of Law, J.D., cum laude - 1982
ADMITTED TO BAR
- Washington - 1982
- Alaska - 1989
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington - 1982
- U.S. District Court, District of Alaska - 1991
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington - 2007
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals - 1990
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals - 1999
- Washington State Bar Association
- Alaska Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Washington State Society of Health Care Attorneys
- Alaska State Hospital and Nursing Home Association
- Washington State Hospital Association
- Martindale-Hubbell’s AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating™
- Best Lawyers in America
- Named a “Top Lawyer” for Health Care in Seattle Met magazine – 2010
- Member, Board of Trustees, Greater Northwest Chapter, National Multiple Sclerosis Society, 2005-2008
- Vice President, Western States Health Care Compliance Association, 1999-2005
- Member, Board of Directors, American Diabetes Association of Washington State, 1984-1988
- State of Alaska, Department of Health & Social Services v. North Star Hospital, 280 P.3d 575 (Alaska 2012). Successful defense of Alaska Medicaid Audit.
- Hammond v. Northland Counseling Center, Inc., 218 F.3d 886 (8th Cir. 2000). Defense of facility against whistleblower and False Claims Act allegations.
- State of Alaska, Department of Health & Social Services, Medicaid Rate Advisory Commission v. Alaska State Hospital & Nursing Home Association, 856 P.2d 755 (Alaska 1993). Successful Boren Amendment lawsuit.
- Cordova Community Hospital and Petersburg General Hospital v. State of Alaska, Medicaid Rate Commission, 789 P.2d 346 (Alaska 1990). Successful appeal of Medicaid audit decision.