Ritu Kaur Cooper
Attorney | Washington, D.C.
Phone: (202) 370-9584 | Fax: (202) 370-9589
Ritu Kaur Cooper is a shareholder in Hall Render’s health section. Serving as a co-leader of the firm's compliance service line, Ritu's practice consists of representing health care providers such as hospitals and health systems in litigation, regulatory and compliance matters with particular focus on fraud and abuse, compliance and internal and government investigations, as well as voluntary disclosures.
Ritu regularly works with legal and compliance departments to assist clients with the development of effective compliance programs consistent with OIG guidance. She drafts compliance policies and procedures, develops and provides compliance education and training from the Board level to employees to contracted physicians, drafts and negotiates agreements consistent with the fraud and abuse laws and assists clients with internal investigations and implementing appropriate corrective actions. Ritu also serves as Interim Deputy Compliance Officer for Division II of Prime Healthcare, Inc.
Prior to joining Hall Render, Ritu represented hospitals, health systems and laboratories in government investigations. She also provided regulatory and compliance advice to hospitals, laboratories and medical device companies with respect to the Medicare fraud and abuse laws.
Ritu is actively involved in the American Health Lawyers Association, where she currently serves as Vice Chair of Educational Programming and previously served as the Vice Chair of Strategic Planning and Special Projects within the Hospitals and Health Systems practice group. She is also an active member of the South Asian Bar Association of Washington, DC, where she served on the Board for five years and served as President in 2017. Ritu lives in Washington, DC with her husband and three children.
The George Washington University, B.A., with honors - 2000
Syracuse University, J.D., cum laude - 2003, Saint Louis University, LL.M. in Health Law - 2005
ADMITTED TO BAR
- New Jersey - 2003
- Pennsylvania - 2003
- District of Columbia - 2004
- Missouri - 2005
- Supreme Court of the United States - 2010
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey - 2003
- American Health Lawyers Association - Vice-Chair of Research and Website for the Hospitals and Health Systems Practice Group
- National Bar Association
- Washington Bar Association
- South Asian Bar Association of Washington, DC - President
- Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
- Interim Compliance Officer for Beaver Dam Community Hospitals, Inc. – 2016-2019
- Saint Louis University School of Law Center for Health Law Studies Practitioner-in-Residence – 2012
- Mary’s Center for Maternal and Child Care, Inc. – General Counsel
- Capital Clinical Integrated Network – General Counsel
- Superior Court of New Jersey, Somerset County, Criminal Division – Law Clerk to Hon. Paul W. Armstrong, 2003-2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit – Summer Law Clerk to Hon. Morton I. Greenberg, 2001
- Lawyers of Color’s Hot List for the Mid-Atlantic Region – 2013, 2014
- Listed in Washington D.C. Super Lawyers Rising Stars – 2018