Joel D. Swider
Attorney | Indianapolis
Phone: (317) 429-3638 | Fax: (317) 633-4878
Joel Swider represents nonprofit and for-profit health care providers in commercial real estate, tax and corporate matters. Joel’s practice often includes:
- Representing providers on either side of commercial leasing negotiations with an emphasis on hospital-physician leasing arrangements and timeshares;
- Handling purchase and sale transactions, development, zoning and financing arrangements;
- Consulting on legal issues related to property tax exemption and drafting/reviewing exemption applications for nonprofit clients;
- Counseling hospitals on health care regulatory compliance, including fair market value, commercial reasonableness and the development of real estate compliance programs;
- Advising clients on risk management issues, including corporate structuring, creation of limited liability companies and corporate subsidiaries (including real estate holding entities and operating entities) and insurance matters (including captives);
- Navigating corporate governance issues (such as board structuring) and the related tax challenges; and
- Creating and managing nonprofit corporations, including public charities and supporting organizations, and application for income tax exemption.
Joel is a frequent writer and speaker on health care real estate matters. Prior to his legal career, he served as Agency Coordinator in the Office of Presidential Correspondence at the White House.
Joel is a voracious reader (mostly nonfiction). He also enjoys playing tennis and spending time with his wife and sons in Indianapolis.
University of Virginia, B.A.
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, J.D., Honors in Health Law
ADMITTED TO BAR
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
- American Health Lawyers Association – Vice-Chair of Tax and Finance Practice Group, 2017-2019
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Families First Indiana - Board of Directors, 2016-2017
- Mental Health America of Greater Indianapolis - Board of Directors, 2015-2016
- Finalist, Indy’s Best and Brightest – 2016
- Indiana Health Law Review Eleanor D. Kinney Dedicated Service Award – 2011-2012
- Executive Managing Editor, Indiana Health Law Review – 2011-2012
- Member, Order of the Barristers, Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law – 2011