Ms. Markey is licensed to practice as an attorney in Texas and Michigan. Ms. Markey primarily represents health care providers and exempt organizations. She leads the Hall Render Life Sciences team and has a particular interest in human subject research and technology law, including data privacy and security, electronic health records, software licensing, data rights management and e-commerce issues, as well as emergency legal preparedness, HIPAA, patient care issues, and compliance. Ms. Markey has presented and authored publications both within Michigan and nationally, including articles on emergency preparedness and response law, HIPAA Privacy and HIPAA Security, the clinical-technology interface, and clinical research issues. Ms. Markey is a Michigan licensed Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic with many years of field experience.
- St. Louis University, B.A. - 1984
- St. Louis University School of Law, J. D., summa cum laude - 1991
Admitted to Bar
- Texas - 1991
- Michigan - 1992
- American Health Lawyers Association - Board of Directors
- State Bar of Michigan - Health Care Law, Computer Law, and Intellectual Property Sections
- National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians
- Alpha Sigma Nu
- Psi Chi
- Order of Woolsack
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Food and Drug Law Institute
- Licensing Executives Society
- American Bar Association
- The Sedona Conference Working Group on International Electronic Information Management, Discovery and Disclosure
- Private practice (1999-2004)
- In-House Counsel, The Detroit Medical Center (1995-1999)
- Private practice (1991-1995)
- Security Considerations in Technology Contracting - Implementing Information Security in Healthcare: Building a Security Program, HIMSS
- We Know Where You Are: RFID In Healthcare - ABA eHealth Source
- Hospital Surge Capacity - AHLA
- HIPAA Security - Healthcare Compliance Legal Issues Manual, AHLA
- HIPAA Confidentiality (ed.) - Healthcare Compliance Legal Issues Manual, AHLA Attorney-Client Privilege - AHLA
- Attorney-Client Privilege - Healthcare Compliance Legal Issues Manual, AHLA
- Scientific Misconduct in Research - Journal of Health & Life Sciences Law, AHLA
- Privacy Issues - The Fundamentals of Life Sciences Law: Drugs, Devices, and Biotech, AHLA
- SRA International Annual Meeting: HITECH's Final Rule: What are the Implications for Researchers? October 2013.
- MAGI's Clinical Research Conference - 2013 East: Intellectual Property Provisions in CTAs. May 2013
- MAGI's Clinical Research Conference - 2012 West: Into the Abyss: Subject Injury and Indemnification. October 2012.
- 2012 Detroit SecureWorld Expo: Dark Cloud Rising: Cybersecurity Law Update 2012. October 2012
- Moderator, Health Law 2.0: Shhh! Latest Developments in Security and Patient Privacy. October 2012.
- HITECH Status in Michigan: EMR Contracting: Pitfalls and Promises. September 2012.
- American Conference Institute Healthcare Provider Disputes and Litigation Conference: Developing a HIPAA Risk Assessment to Avoid Litigation Risk. August 2012.
- The Healthcare Roundtable: Cyber Security, Cloud Computing, and the iPad as a Medical Device. September 2012.
- The Great Lakes InfraGard Conference 2012: Cybersecurity in Healthcare. June 2012.
- The Pitfalls of Progress: Tricks and Traps of EMRs. May 2012
- MAGI's Clinical Research Conference: Recent Developments in Subject Data Privacy & Security. May 2012.
- 2012 Spectrum Health Research Conference: Recent Legal Developments in Research. May 2012.
- Cloud Computing Association: 2nd Annual Cloud Computing in Healthcare Conference & Expo. April 2012.
- HIMSS: 2012 Annual Conference & Exhibition: Navigating the Cloud Risks and Protections for Healthcare Data. February 2012.
- American Health Lawyers Association Hospitals and Health Systems Law Institute: The iPhone as a Medical Device. February 2012.
- American Health Lawyers Association: Legal Issues Affecting Academic Medical Centers and Other Teaching Institutions: Research Records and Medical Records – Gaps, Overlaps, What Goes Where and Why? January 2012.
- American Health Lawyers Association Annual Meeting. June 2011.
- Clark Memorial Hospital Technology Law Seminar. May 2011.
- Session for Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) staff: Electronic Medical Records & the Public's Health. January 2011.
- American Health Lawyers Association Public Interest Convener Session: Objectivity v. Commercialization - AMC Conflicts of Interest in Research: An Academic Discussion. January 2011.
- American Health Lawyers Association Legal Issues Affecting Academic Medical Centers and Other Teaching Institutions: Clinical Trials Update: Legal, Ethical and Operational Perspectives on MSP and Subject Injury, Clinical Trials Coding and Medicare Advantage Beneficiaries. January 2011.
- American Academy of Medical Administrators Annual Meeting: Legal Issues in Healthcare: Lessons Learned From the Toyota Recall. November 2010.
- American Health Lawyers Association Fundamentals of Health Law: The Art of War: E-Discovery in the Electronic Medical Record Environment. October 2010.
- MAGI Clinical Research Conference-West: Dissecting A Clinical Trial Agreement. October 2010.
- Detroit SecureWorld Expo: Leaks, Geeks and Liabilities. October 2010.
- National Cancer Institute, Cancer Biomedical Infomatics Grid Annual Meeting: Facilitating Data Sharing in Light of HIPAA Authorization. September 2010.
- American Health Lawyers Association In-House Counsel Meeting: MythBusters: Health Information Technology. June 2010.
- Wired for Michigan: Patient Privacy in the Electronic Age. June 2010.
- MAGI Clinical Research Conference-East: Dissecting A Clinical Trial Agreement. May 2010.
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education Annual Meeting: Hot Topics in FDA and Pharma Practice. March 2010.
- American Health Lawyers Association Fundamentals of Health Law: E-Discovery. November 2009.
- MAGI 2009 Clinical Research Conference: Managing Risk: Informed Consent, Subject Injury, Indemnification & Insurance. October 2009.
- Detroit Secure World Expo: Black Hats, Red Flags and Other Curiosities. September 2009.
- EMS Expo / Trauma Care: What's Law Got to Do With It? August 2009.
- MAGI-East: Subject Data Privacy and Security. May 2009.
- Wisconsin Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology State Conference: Legal and Ethical Dilemmas Related to Pandemic Preparedness. May 2009.
- American Bar Association: Responding to Security Incidents: Practical Pointers. February 2009.
- American Health Lawyers Association: Pandemic Influenza Planning for Physicians. January 2009.
- Lorman Education Services Seminar: Medical Records Law in Michigan. November 2008.
- American Health Lawyers Association Teleconference on Pan-Flu Preparedness: The Sneeze Heard 'Round the World. October 2008.
- MAGI Clinical Trial Agreements, Budget & Regulatory Conference: The Three Rs: Reading, 'Riting & 'Rithmeticing CTAs & Budgets. October 2008.
- National Constitution Center Live Audio Conference: HIPAA Audits: Providence, Piedmont...AND YOU? What you Need to be Ready. October 2008.
- AHIMA: Ensuring Health Record Integrity. August 2008.
- Lorman Education Services Seminar: Medical Records Law in Michigan. July 2008.
- NACUA's 48th Annual Conference: Top 10 Issues for Academic Medical Centers. June 2008.
- American Health Lawyers Association In-House Counsel Meeting: Smoke and Mirrors: Fact and Fiction in EHR Implementation and Physician-Hospital IT Integration. June 2008.
- Spectrum Health Research Conference: Keys to Successful Research: Unlocking the Possibilities. March 2008.
- Michigan Bar Association Health Law Conference: Electronic Medical Records: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. March 2008.
- American Bar Association: The Future of Security Rule Enforcement in The Post-Piedmont Era. February 2008.