Ms. Callahan-Morris focuses her practice in the areas of HIPAA privacy and security, patient care issues and corporate compliance. She advises hospitals and other health care organizations on all aspects of compliance programs, including conducting compliance programs assessments, developing policies and audit work plans, training and education, conducting internal investigations, responding to government investigations and arranging voluntary self-reporting. Ms. Callahan-Morris is proficient in state and federal patient confidentiality laws, data breach reporting and Office for Civil Rights HIPAA investigations. She is also practiced in informed consent and end-of-life issues. She is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA) and the Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA) and has served as HIPAA Task Force Co-Chairperson for the State Bar of Michigan Health Care Law Section. Ms. Callahan-Morris is a frequent speaker on HIPAA and corporate compliance topics at the local and national levels.
- Michigan State University, B.A., cum laude - 1993
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D. - 1996
Admitted to Bar
- Michigan - 1996
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan - 1996
- State Bar of Michigan, Health Care Law Section, Health Information Technology Committee
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Private Practice - 1996-1999; 2000-Present
- In-House Counsel, Health Alliance Plan - 1999-2000
- Adjunct Professor, University of Detroit-Mercy - 2002-2003
- The Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 19th Annual Health Law Institute, From HITECH to High Risk - HITECH Final Rule, Data Security Considerations and Case Studies, Plymouth, MI, March 7, 2013.
- 14th Annual Conference on Emerging Issues in Healthcare Law, HITECH Omnibus Final Rule - Practical Implications for Covered Entities, Miami, FL, February 22, 2013.
- Navigating the New Normal, American College of Healthcare Executives/AzHHA, Government Focus on Fraud and Abuse, (Panel Discussion) Marana, AZ, September 28, 2012.
- Michigan Center for Rural Health, HIPAA HITECH Update, East Lansing, MI, August 23, 2012.
- 15th Annual MI Rural Health Conference, Use of Mobile Devices and Other “Big” Issues Under HIPAA & HITECH, Mt. Pleasant, MI, April 12, 2012.
- The Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 18th Annual Health Law Institute, HIPAA Update: New Privacy and Security Rules, Plymouth, MI, March 8 2012.
- ABA Emerging Issues in Healthcare Law, HIPAA Breach Notification - Case Studies on What to Do and When to Report, San Diego, CA, February 23, 2012.
- AHLA Physicians and Physician Organizations Law Institute, HIPAA Breach Notification - Case Studies on What to Do and When to Report, Orlando, FL, February 9, 2012.