Andrew Dick's practice focuses on real estate transactions and environmental law. He advises hospitals and health care systems around the country on the planning, construction and development of new hospitals, medical office buildings, surgery centers and skilled nursing facilities. He represents clients on a broad range of real estate matters, including the acquisition of land, selection of developers and the negotiation of transaction documents, including letters of intent, development agreements, space leases, ground leases, easements and restrictive covenants.
In addition to his experience on traditional real estate matters, Andrew has a significant amount of experience counseling clients on fraud and abuse laws that apply to real estate transactions. He is frequently called upon to assist clients with lease administration and the creation of policies and procedures to ensure that leasing arrangements comply with the Stark Law and the Anti-Kickback Statute.
Andrew also advises clients on a broad range of environmental law matters, including environmental due diligence, air and water permitting, regulatory programs for the cleanup of contaminated property and the disposal of medical, pharmaceutical and hazardous wastes.
Andrew currently serves as the Chair of the Real Estate Affinity Group for the American Health Lawyers Association. He also serves on the Planning Committee for the Building Owners and Managers Association – Medical Office Building Conference.
- University of Southern Indiana, B.S. - 2002
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude - 2005
- University of Miami School of Law, LL.M., Real Property Development - 2006
Admitted to Bar
- Indiana - 2006
- U.S. District Courts, Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana - 2006
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
Best Practices for Developing Stark Compliant Timeshare Leasing Arrangements, AHLA Connections Magazine, December 2012.
Developing an Office Space Lease Compliance Program, AHLA Hospitals & Health Systems Rx Newsletter, November 2012.
- Healthcare Headaches: Various issues delay medical real estate construction, Commercial Investment Real Estate, July-August 2012.
- Environmental Laws, Healthcare Compliance Legal Issues Manual, 3rd Edition, 2011.
- Deal Diagnosis: Understanding Healthcare Laws Improves the Prognosis for MOB Transactions, Commercial Investment Real Estate, September 2009.
- New Home Protections: Your clients may have legal recourse if their newly constructed home is faulty, Realtor Magazine, March 2009.
- Housing Issues, Commonly Asked Questions About Indiana Law, 2008-2009.
- Making Sense Out of Non-Sense: A Response to Adverse Possession by Governmental Entities, 7 Nevada Law Journal 348, 2007.
- Indiana Leasehold Estates: A Closer Look at Landlord-Tenant Relationships, Res Gestae (Indiana State Bar Journal), September 2007.
- Blight Fight: Detroit's aggressive approach to nuisance abatement is sparking some redevelopment, Planning Magazine, June 2007.
- Avoiding Pitfalls: Why Hospitals and Heatlh Care Providers Need a Space Lease Compliance Program, 2015 BOMA International's Medical Office Buildings & Healthcare Facilities Conference - April 29 - May 1, 2015
- Rules, Tools, and Fools: "Hot Buttons" in Physician Compensation Planning Series, Part III: Introduction to Health Care Real Estate Lease Toolkit, AHLA webinar - January 21, 2015
- Ensuring that Rental Rates and Lease Arrangements are Commercially Reasonable and Adhere to Stark Law Requirements, FMV of HCP and Investigator Payments - May 20, 2014
- Structuring Medical Office Building Transactions: From Concept to Completion, AHLA Health Care Transactions Conference - April 11, 2014
- Real Estate Bootcamp Webinar Series, Part V: Regulatory Issues in Healthcare Real Estate Transactions - A Review of Stark and the Anti-Kickback Statute, AHLA webinar - February 21, 2013
- Real Estate Bootcamp Webinar Series, Part III: Environmental Compliance Issues Affecting Hospitals and Healthcare Facilities, AHLA webinar - December 18, 2012
- How Macro Changes in Healthcare are Impacting Hospital and Heatlhcare System Real Estate Usage and Strategies, InterFace Healthcare Real Estate Southeast - November 28, 2012
- The Impact of Health Care Reform on Commercial Real Estate, Indiana CCIM Chapter Seminar - November 14, 2012
- Real Estate Bootcamp Webinar Series, Part I: The Healthcare Facility Lease - Distinguishing the Differences Between Other Major Types of Leases, AHLA Webinar - October 4, 2012
- A Review of the Stark Law and the Anti-Kickback Statute as Applied to Real Estate Transactions, AHLA webinar - March 16, 2012
- Regulatory and Compliance Issues Affecting Healthcare Real Estate Transactions, RealShare Medical Office Building Conference - November 15, 2011
- Infrastructure Development Projects, Kentucky Hospital Association Annual Meeting - May 10, 2011
- Medical Office Leasing Issues, AHLA webinar - March 11, 2011
- Healthcare Environmental Compliance Inititatives: Is Your Facility In Compliance?, Midwest Heatlhcare Engineering Conference - November 4, 2009
- Going Green: Environmental Compliance and Green Guides for Healthcare Facilities, Indiana Hospital Association Legal Forum - September 18, 2009
- Environmental Site Assessments for Healthcare Facilities, August Mack Environmental webinar - August 27, 2009
- New Environmental Laws Affecting Hospitals and Healthcare Facilities, Indiana Society of Healthcare Engineers Spring Meeting - May 15, 2009
- Medical Office Leases: Understanding the Regulatory Requirements Behind the Lease Terms, ABA Real Property Spring Symposia - May 1, 2009
- Pharmaceutical Waste: What to Expect in 2009, August Mack Environmental webinar - February 5, 2009
- Ethylene Oxide Sterilizers Subject to New Clean Air Act Regulations, August Mack Environmental webinar- August 20, 2008
- Going Green: Environmental Laws, Green Guides and Facilities Management, Indiana Society of Healthcare Engineers Spring Meeting - May 16, 2008