Joseph M. Kahn Attorney
Hall, Render, Killian, Heath & Lyman, LLP
3015 Carrington Mill Boulevard, Suite 450
Morrisville, NC 27560
Publications[10/12/16] SEE MORE
Creating Legally Compliant Strategies for Care of Vulnerable Populations, North Carolina Hospital Association Summer Meeting, July 2017[07/20/2017] SEE MORE
Joe Kahn is a shareholder in Hall Render's Raleigh office. He focuses his practice on advising health systems, physician groups and other health care providers with regard to strategic transactions and affiliations, including mergers and acquisitions, hospital/physician transactions, corporate organization and reorganization matters, joint ventures, governance matters and complex contract negotiations. In conjunction with this advice, he also counsels health care clients with respect to the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute and other applicable regulatory compliance matters implicated by their operations. Joe's experience on behalf of health systems and other providers includes mergers, acquisitions and stock sale transactions with an aggregate value totaling over $1.5 billion.
Joe is a Vice Chair of the American Health Lawyers Association's Fraud and Abuse Practice Group, Past Chair of the Health Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association and former President of the Board of the North Carolina Society of Health Care Attorneys.
Washington University in St. Louis, B.A., with honors - 1997
University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D. - 2000
ADMITTED TO BAR
- South Carolina - 2000
- North Carolina - 2001
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Healthcare Financial Management Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- American Bar Association
- Served as lead counsel in numerous hospital affiliation transactions. Transactions have included acquisitions of non-profit hospitals by for-profit entities and the acquisition of community hospitals by academic medical centers and other health systems.
- Served as lead counsel in multiple hospital joint venture transactions. In North Carolina, this representation has included formation of a multi-hospital cancer center joint venture; formation of a 131E-14 hospital ownership joint venture; multiple clinical service line joint ventures; and multiple joint ventures between hospitals and ancillary providers.
- Assisted in development of accountable care organizations and clinically integrated networks.
- Serve as lead counsel for multi-hospital joint venture shared services organization.
- Served as lead counsel in multiple home health, behavioral health and hospice sale transactions.
- Routinely advises hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, long-term care facilities and specialty providers on certificate of need, licensure, certification, and survey matters, as applicable.
- Routinely advises on provider-based rules for multiple hospital systems related to outpatient locations, ancillary services, urgent care centers and freestanding emergency departments.
- Performed due diligence and prepared regulatory self-disclosures in conjunction with numerous transactions.
- Advised and assisted hospitals in the formation and implementation of multiple physician affiliate organizations.
- Drafted confidential private placement memoranda in connection with the development of ambulatory surgery centers.
- Serve as outside general counsel for hospital and provider entities.
- Schoolhouse of Wonder - Board of Directors
- Make-a-Wish Foundation - Former Chairman of the Board of Directors, Central and Western North Carolina Chapters, 2010-2011