J. Patrick Garcia Attorney
Hall, Render, Killian, Heath & Lyman, P.C.
180 Admiral Cochrane Drive
Annapolis, MD 21401
Press Releases[10/31/16 ] SEE MORE
J. Patrick Garcia is an associate in the health practice group. Prior to entering private practice, Patrick served as Senior Counsel in the Administrative and Civil Remedies Branch of the Office of Counsel to the Inspector General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services ("HHS-OIG"). In that role, he represented HHS-OIG in a wide range of civil and administrative health care fraud enforcement matters in coordination with the Department of Justice, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and the Food and Drug Administration. His responsibilities included: serving as a subject matter expert on the Anti-Kickback Statute ("AKS") and Stark Law as enforced through the False Claims Act and Civil Monetary Penalties Law ("CMPL"); representing HHS-OIG before the HHS Departmental Appeals Board in matters relating to exclusion from participation in federal health care programs; drafting, negotiating and monitoring Corporate Integrity Agreements; investigating and resolving CMPL matters and self-disclosures relating to the employment of excluded individuals, false claims, AKS, Stark Law and EMTALA violations; drafting and reviewing administrative documentary and testimonial subpoenas; and advising agents and prosecutors conducting fraud investigations. In addition to his legal training, Patrick has a Masters in Health Administration from Saint Louis University School of Public Health.
- Saint Louis University, B.A., magna cum laude - 2006
- Saint Louis University College for Public Health & Social Justice, M.H.A. - 2010
- Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., Certificate in Health Law Studies - 2010
ADMITTED TO BAR
- Missouri - 2010
- Maryland - 2016
- American Health Lawyers Association - Young Professionals Council
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Private Practice – 2015-Present
- Senior Counsel, Office of Counsel to the Inspector General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administrative and Civil Remedies Branch – 2011-2015